Berbere is an Ethiopian spice blend possessing a coarse, earthy texture and a zesty, hot flavor. When it comes to complex, spicy flavors, nothing surpasses Ethiopian cuisine. With it’s earthy aromas of fenugreek, cardamom, cloves and cumin Berbere embodies some of our favorite flavor combinations. Background: We truly enjoy the Ethiopian collective dining experience … everyone sits around low tables and eats from the same plate. Usually prepared from a cupboard-full of herbs and spices, Berbere is pan-roasted and fresh-ground. The combination of fenugreek and red pepper is essential to Berbere; while one or two of the other ingredients may be left out, the fenugreek and red pepper are must-haves. Regional Cuisine Pheasant would be an ideal partner, to make a version of doro wat, a chicken stew considered the national dish of Ethiopia; remember African chickens tend to be old and tough – closer to pheasant than American chicken. Or, you could use venison to make a dish of segi wat, which is typically prepared with lamb. Berbere adds wonderful spiciness when used as a rub on red or white meats for roasting, grilling, barbecuing or pan-frying. Add water or oil to form a paste to flavor stir-fries, soups and casseroles or use it as a base for curry.
- Proprietary Spice Blend Recipe refined through 40 years of Internationally-inspired fine dining Risho family restaurants.
- Hand Roasted & Ground in small batches in Missoula, Montana.
- Vacuum-sealed inside convenient stackable tin to shield contents from two things that kill spice: light and oxygen.
- Each spice has a Quick & Easy meal recipe (under 25 minutes)
- 100% Natural, No Preservatives or Bulking Agents, No SALT, No Sugar, Gluten Free.